Effective Date: December 24, 2023
Information We Collect
We collect personal information, like names and contact information, that you choose to provide when you interact with our church. Examples include:
- Contact Information you provide when you visit our church, attend services, events, or bible studies, seek pastoral counsel, request to receive newsletters or other mailings, etc. This can include details like your name, phone number, mailing address, and email.
- Financial information you provide if you choose to tithe, donate, or pay for events or services. This can include bank account numbers, credit card numbers, or other payment details.
- Information disclosed during pastoral counseling, prayers, group discussions, etc. is your choice.
- Demographic data like age, gender, ethnicity, marital status, etc. that you volunteer for church records and statistics.
Additionally, general visitor information is passively collected through our website, KCCNJ.com, including IP addresses, browsers used, pages visited, and access times. Emails sent to and from the domain KCCNJ.com also necessarily reveal some technical data, like IP addresses.
How We Use Collected Information?
The personal and demographic data you provide to KCCNJ is used only to support our religious mission, maintain member relationships, and organize and facilitate church activities, including:
- Communicating with you regarding news, events, bible studies, volunteer needs, pastoral support or counseling, or other church information or activities
- Facilitating your participation in church services, events, bible studies, volunteer activities, counseling meetings, and more
- Processing tithes, donations, event payments, and managing your giving records as needed
- Maintaining a church directory and delivering requested mailings (phone books, newsletters, etc.)
- Performing church management, including tracking attendance, tithing, and events participation; performing biblical duties like prayer lists, pastoral care, sacraments, etc.
- Compiling anonymous aggregate church statistics related to worship services, events, programs, demographics, etc. to support strategic planning
General visitor data via KCCNJ.com and our email domains may be used to monitor and improve website performance, deliver relevant content to website visitors, and filter suspicious emails and activity. Financial details are carefully secured and handled only by designated finance team members.
When and With Whom We Share Information?
KCCNJ will not share, sell, lease, or disclose your personal or sensitive information to any third parties except in the minimal circumstances outlined below:
- As required to facilitate payments you authorize (e.g. with banks, PayPal, and credit card companies),
- With church leaders and staff on a need-to-know basis to support our religious mission and facilitate your participation in church community activities
- When legally compelled by federal or state agencies, judicial bodies, etc. per due process of law
- authorized third-party service providers under confidentiality agreements as necessary solely to facilitate church operations; this can include website hosting companies, payment processors, church management software vendors, etc.
- If you provide consent to share your information externally in a specific instance,
With your permission through opt-in checkboxes or other clear consent, we may share your contact information with other church members in a church directory format to facilitate community building. Additionally, while confidentiality around pastoral counsel, group prayers, etc. is taken extremely seriously, absolute non-disclosure cannot be guaranteed in certain extreme scenarios, like credible threats of harm to oneself or others.
Apart from the above cases, KCCNJ will not share personal data with external parties without your informed, explicit consent. Anonymous aggregated church statistics contain no personally identifying details and may be published externally or analyzed to guide strategic planning.
How We Protect Information?
KCCNJ takes reasonable administrative, technical, and physical precautions to safeguard sensitive personal information against loss, theft, unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification per established InfoSec industry standards, considering the sensitivity level of the data and risk of harm from unauthorized access. This includes measures like:
- Securing paper documents or files containing sensitive data in locked offices and cabinets
- Requiring strong passwords and multi-factor authentication to access church systems containing personal information
- Restricting access to sensitive systems and files to only those church leaders and staff that have a defined need to view such data, governed by confidentiality agreements
- Using secure encrypted connections (HTTPS/TLS/SSL), secure messaging platforms, and other encryption technologies when collecting or transmitting sensitive information online
- Maintaining up-to-date malware protection, firewalls, intrusion detection and prevention systems, and other network security measures
- Regularly monitoring our systems and networks to identify suspicious activity, potential points of compromise, or access by unauthorized parties
- Having an incident response protocol in place for rapidly addressing any potential personal data compromises
While we aim to protect your personal information, no method of storage or transmission over the internet is 100% secure. We cannot guarantee absolute security of your data transmitted to, stored on, or accessed from our systems.
Your Rights and Choices
To support data privacy rights, KCCNJ enables church members, donors, and website visitors to:
- Opt-out of church newsletters, mailings, contact lists, and other communications at any time
- Request to review the basic personal data KCCNJ has associated with you
- Request corrections or updates if the information we have for you is inaccurate or incomplete
- Request that we delete certain unnecessary personal data, cease its further collection or processing, or restrict its use, per applicable legal requirements
- File complaints regarding alleged mishandling or misuse of your information by KCCNJ
Some data, like that required for managing tithes or basic church membership, cannot be modified or deleted without terminating your membership. Anonymously aggregated church statistics and legally required data also cannot be deleted.
To make a request or file a complaint regarding your data, please contact our church data privacy team at [email protected] or by mail. You will have to provide additional details to verify your identity before we can process some data requests per our Information Request Policy.
Children’s Privacy Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important at KCCNJ. Our website, KCCNJ.com, and online services are not directed at children under the age of 13. We avoid knowingly collecting or maintaining personal data about children under the age of 13 without advance parental consent specific to each instance of data collection and intended use. Please get in touch with our Data Privacy Team if you believe we may have inadvertently collected information about your underage child, so we can promptly delete it.
Changes to this Policy
KCCNJ Data Privacy Team
147 Tenafly Rd Englewood, NJ 07631